Orange chicken is one of our favourite go to dinners, and in an effort to reduce our meat intake this tasty recipe has taken it’s place. This quick orange sauce is slightly sweet, tangy and just the right amount of spicy if you choose to add the chilli flakes. I like this sauce on the less-sweet side but if you want it sweeter simply add some more sweetener of choice and you’re set.
Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup sweetener (I use monkfruit sweetener)
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, reduced salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 orange, juice and zest (about 150ml)
- Splash Chinese cooking wine
- 1T cornstarch
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
- 2 tins chickpeas, 800g
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup capsicum, diced
- Combine all of the liquids together in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring frequently, then simmer for 8-10min. Make sure the sweetener is dissolved before you remove from the heat.
- Take a few tablespoons of the liquid and combine with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Mix together into a slurry then pour back into the sauce pot. Add the garlic and ginger and mix together until it thickens.
- While the sauce is simmering, gently saute the veggies and chickpeas in a frypan. Add small amounts of water as needed until the broccoli is tender.
- Mix the sauce through the veggies and add the chilli flakes if using.
- Serve with brown rice and top with sesame seeds and green onions for a nourishing mid week meal.