Custard is one of our favourite desserts to make – it’s quick, easy and super tasty on it’s own straight from the saucepan. Traditional egg custard uses 4 main ingredients: egg yolks, cream/milk, sugar and vanilla. For this cheat’s version we’re using cornflour as the binder and thickener for an even quicker, vegan-friendly treat.
If you’re not a fan of iced coffee this method will work with any flavoured plant-based milk, just judge whether you need to add extra sugar or sweetener.
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup plant based iced coffee, I used Califia Farms*
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- Toppings: chocolate, banana, coconut
- In a small saucepan heat the iced coffee but don’t let boil.
- Mix together the cornflour and water to make a slurry. Slowly stir into the iced coffee and continue to cook while stirring consistently.
- When it starts to thicken remove from the heat and keep stirring until it reaches a custard-consistency.
- Serve warm or cold.
* I find the Califia Farms brand sweet enough that I don’t need to add extra sweetener but use your own judgement based on the brand you use.